MAGS – G.L.Weir Sports Centre
The G.L.Weir Cricket Pavilion at Mt Albert Grammar School has proved to be an awesome asset to the school and community cricket groups.
The initial enquiry for this canopy structure came in early 2019. Shade Systems visited the site at Mt Albert Grammar School to measure up and get an idea of what the school required for their cricket training facility. Our design team created plans for a large 40m x 20m covered in, PVC tensile membrane structure with all the ‘bells and whistles’ to provide an optimal solution. This project and design included:
- Concrete foundation pad and surrounding footpaths
- Hot-dipped galvanised structural framework for long-life protection
- Stormwater collection and drainage
- Roll up/down PVC fabric mesh tensioned down the length sides
- Logo printed PVC at each end
- Several doors for main access and also Fire Egress doors at various spots for safety reasons
- Commercial grade roller doors (x4) at each end (to allow more breeze and airflow if desired)
- Internal retractable nets to create 5 practicing lanes
- Lights for after-hours and night use
- Power supply and plugin points for PA system, bowling machines, maintenance machinery, etc
- TigerTurf premium artificial surface
The project and installation were completely project managed by Shade Systems team, this included working with experienced sub-contractors for installation of certain design features.
Since the canopy’s installation, it has been used continuously for cricket training, not just by MAGS school students but other community groups who hire it out after hours. It also has proved to be a multi-purpose space too; with other sporting activities played undercover.
This sports pavilion has allowed Mt Albert Grammar School students and other community groups to train year-round, protected from the hot sun or wet weather.